DVLA Contact Number for Customer Services

0844 453 0118

Are you looking for the DVLA contact number? Number Direct is a call connection service that will connect you to the DVLA at a cost of 7p per minute to call plus your access charge which is set by your telephone operator. Number Direct is not associated with the DVLA. On our website, you will find accurate and up-to-date information and telephone numbers which you can use to get in touch with the relevant department.

Do you have questions about your driving licence?

Problems with your Blue Badge?

With its headquarters based in Wales, the DVLA is an organisation within the Department for Transport. They are responsible for maintaining more than 44 million driver records, along with over 36 million records of licensed vehicles.

The DVLA Telephone Number and Address:

0844 453 0118 – we will connect you to the head office of DVLA Swansea

Driver & Vehicle Licensing Centre

Long View Rd, Swansea, West Glamorgan SA6 7JL, United Kingdom

DVLA Opening Hours

When contacting the DVLA ensure that you are calling them within the correct opening hours (Public holiday opening times may vary):

Monday – Friday: 08:00 to 19:00
Saturday: 08:00 to 14:00
Sunday: CLOSED

Why Would You Need to Contact the DVLA Customer Services Team?

The DVLA customer service contact number: 0844 453 0118 can be used to provide support for road users who have questions about their driving documentation, car tax or would like to find out more information about a service such as personalised registration plates. The DVLA can help you with any UK driving related enquiry including:

  • Information on your car or help with taxContact the DVLA
  • Applying for the UK driving licence
  • Information for blue badge holders
  • Resources on learning to drive or booking you driving test
  • Guides on driving with a disability
  • Registering your car with the DVLA
  • Resources for people who have medical conditions that affects driving
  • Help applying for a driving licence
  • Logbooks (or V5C)
  • Information about changing photographs on driving licences
  • Licences for other types of  vehicles, such as buses, motorbikes, coaches and lorries.

The DVLA contact number can provide assistance to those who have specific enquiries about a certain issue, such as car tax, or for those who just want to find out more information about the services the DVLA provides.

If you have any special requirements for completing a physical form, such as Braille, large print or a different language, the DVLA is the best department to help you.

If you aren’t currently a road user or a vehicle owner, you can still use the telephone number to make an enquiry about the services it is able to provide as well as finding out more about driving legislation such as the Highway Code.

What Does The DVLA Do?

The DVLA is the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. As an organisation within the Department for Transport, it mainly deals with road users and vehicles. They monitor a huge database, containing figures relating to users of the road and vehicles as well as being the main agency for administering provisional and full driving licences. You will need to contact the DVLA if you wish to book a theory test or decide to declare your car as off the road with a SORN.

If you suffer from certain medical conditions, you will need to inform the DVLA as they may impact on your ability to safely drive. If you need to renew your car tax or wish to purchase a personalised registration plate, you may also find yourself needing to phone the customer service team.

The DVLA was originally known as the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre (DVLC). In 2004, they introduced Electronic Vehicle Licensing, meaning that customers could pay their vehicle excise duty online and over the phone, rather than visiting a Post Office; however, the option to do this at the Post Office is still available. To learn more Click Here

Car Tax

Car Tax must be paid for vehicles that use and/or park on public roads within the United Kingdom. If a car is not being driven, there is still a charge, that is known as SORN.

A Tax Disc has been issued by the DVLA and then displayed in the window of the vehicle, displaying the expiry date. However, as of October 2014, a Tax Disc will no longer be issued and won’t need to be displayed within a vehicle. You will still have to make sure you tax your car and will need to keep track on the status of your car tax online.

Driving LicencesDVLA Licence Holder

A Driving Licence is required in the UK to legally operate a vehicle on public roads. A Provisional Licence is granted when learning to drive and upon passing a driving test, a full licence will be given.

Contact about Obtaining a driving licence

You’ll have to pay a fee to obtain, renew or change your driving licence. Your first provisional licence will cost £34 if you apply online. To replace one that you have lost or had stolen or damaged it will cost £20. Changing your name and address is free, but changing the photo will set you back £14. The photo driving licences are valid for 10 years, but the DVLA will send you a reminder to renew your licence and update your photo before it runs out. You are also able to renew your outdated licence at a Post Office for the cost of £17.

Blue Badge

A Blue Badge is a permit that is given to those who meet a set of requirements relating to disability and mobility limitations. The recipient is entitled to certain parking privileges, such as being able to use disabled parking spaces and being allowed to park on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours.

Buying a Vehicle 

If you buy a vehicle which does not have a logbook, you may not be able to tax it. You will need to apply for a V5C logbook using a V62 application. This can take six weeks and costs £25.

You can reduce the risks of buying a stolen vehicle by making sure that it has a V5C logbook. Once you have bought it, you will need to tax it before going out on the road, as vehicle tax cannot be transferred between keepers.

If you decide to sell your vehicle, you must tell the DVLA straight away using your V5C registration certificate (logbook). If it’s lost or damaged you will need to replace it before selling the vehicle, or the new owner will be unable to tax it.

DVLA History

Originally, local councils around the UK were responsible for registering vehicles. Licensing became the responsibility of the DVLA in 1965 when it was formed.

Initially, licensing was based around 180 offices where drivers could visit and register their vehicle. However, by 1971, the number of local offices were reduced, and by 2014 there were none left- this was due to the DVLA cutting costs and taking the majority of their services online.

As of 2016, headquarters for the DVLA can be found in Swansea. The agency is one of the largest employers in Wales, and all services which were originally available at local offices are now processed from the central Swansea office.

The DVLA contact number is provided here: 0844 453 0118 if you need to discuss anything mentioned above.