Driving Licence Application: Identity Documents

Please remember that these are the rule for the Great Britain, there are different rules in place in Northern Ireland.

Identity DocumentsCan I Use My Passport?

If you currently hold a valid UK biometric passport, you are able to use your 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application. This is when you have the photograph and signature on the same page.

There is no need for you to send your biometric passport in with your passport as well.

If you do not hold a biometric passport, you will need to send in another form of original identity document.

What Other Types Of Identification Can I Use?

If you don’t hold a biometric passport, you can also use these as forms of identification:

  • A valid and current passport
  • A biometric residence permit (sometimes referred to as BRP). This was formerly known as “the identity card for foreign nationals”
  • A UK certification of naturalization
  • An European Union or European Economic Area national identity card
  • A travel document

You have to send the original documents with your driving licence application. A photocopy or scanned version will not work.

You cannot use:

  • Any photocopies or laminated certificates
  • Certificated copies, even if they have been done by the Post Office document certification service.
If you are going to need your passport within the next month, don’t send it to the DVLA. The best thing to do is to wait and do your driving licence application when you get back from your travels, as it may not be returned in time.

Elderly DriverWhat Identification Can I Use If I Am A Pensioner?

If you have reached the age of state pension, you can send an original one of these in your name:

  • A recent bank or building society statement. It must be from within the last 3 months and show your pension payment as well as your National Insurance number
  • A BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter that confirms that you are eligible to receive State Pension.

Can I Use A UK Birth Or Adoption Certificate?

You are able to use a UK birth or adoption certificate, as long as you send it with one of these:

  • Your National Insurance card or letter from the Department for Work and Pensions that shows your National Insurance number. The Department for Work and Pensions is also sometimes referred to as the DWP.
  • A photocopy of the front page of a benefits books or your original benefits claim letter
  • Your P45, P60 or a pay slip
  • Your marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
  • Your college or university union card, school record or PASS CitizenCard

What Should I Do If I Have Changed My Name?

If you have changed your name, you will need to provide evidence of this taking place since your identity document was issued. An example would be that your passport was issued before you got married and your marriage certificate would provide proof that this happened after your passport was issued.

The details you provide have to provide a clear link between the name on your original identity document and the name you currently hold.

Do I Have To Have Someone Sign My Form And Photo?

Yes. The person who does this must:

  • Be classed as resident of the UK
  • Know you personally
  • Not be related to you
  • Not residing or living at the same address as you

ShopkeeperSuitable people can include:

  • A local business person, such as shopkeeper
  • A librarian
  • Anyone who is professionally qualified, such as a lawyer, teacher or engineer
  • A police officer
  • A member of staff from a bank or building society
  • A civil servant
  • A minister of religion
  • A magistrate
  • A local councillor
  • A Member of Parliament, Assembly Member, Member of the Scottish Parliament or Member of the European Parliament

Remember, the DVLA will get in contact with the person who signs your application.

When Do I Not Need Someone To Sign My Photo?

You will not need your photo signing if you have agreed for the DVLA to check your identity by:

  • Getting in contact with your local HM Passport Office
  • Providing an accurate and up to date passport, travel document or BRP
  • Providing your EU or EEA national identity card (except for ID cards that have been issued by the Swedish Post Office)
There is no need for someone to sign your photo if you are renewing your licence with a new photo.

When Will I Get My Documents Back?

You will get your driving licence and identity document returned separately.

You should include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope if you would prefer for your identity documents to be returned by special delivery.

If you have not received your identity documents within 3 weeks of getting your driving licence, you should contact the DVLA.