Reapplying For Your Driving Licence After Being Disqualified

by admindvla 0

You will need to make sure you have a new licence before you can begin driving again after having your licence taken away due to a disqualification.

You are able to check your driving record online to see when your disqualification is spent.

The method you need to use for re-apply will depend on the type of conviction you have and whether or not you are considered to be in the high risk offenders category.

Car Keys And GavelHow Do I Know If I Am A High Risk Offender?

You would be classed as a high risk offender if you:

  • Have been convicted of 2 drink driving offences within the last 10 years
  • Were caught driving with:
    • A alcohol reading of at least 87.5 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 ml of breath or
    • 200 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood or
    • 267.5 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of urine
  • Would not give the police a breath, blood or urine sample to test your alcohol levels
  • Would not allow a sample of your blood to be tested for your alcohol levels (an example would be if it was taken while you were unconscious)

Do I Need A Medical Examination With A DVLA Doctor?

If you are considered a high risk offender, you will need to complete an assessment with a DVLA appointed doctor.

You will be sent an application form, from the DVLA, 90 days before your disqualification comes to an end. Within that time frame, you have to have a medical examination carried out by a doctor appointed by the DVLA to prove your fitness to drive.

What Happens At The Medical Examination With A DVLA Doctor?

The examination will involve:

  • A questionnaire about your personal medical history and your use of alcohol
  • A physical examination
  • Relevant blood tests

It is also worth noting that you will have to pay for this medical examination.

What If I Am A Non-High Risk Offender?

You will be sent a D27 form by the DVLA 56 days before your period of disqualification comes to an end. You have to fill this form in and then return it to the DVLA. There is also a chance you may need to send in a new, up-to-date passport-style photo with your application, so it is worth checking the form to see if this is the case for you.

If you do not receive a renewal form in the post, you can order one from the DVLA’s online form ordering service. There is no charge for this.

Lorry 4What If I Held A Bus, Coach Or Lorry Licence?

If you had a bus, coach or lorry licence, you will need to make sure you complete a D2 form, rather than a D27 form. You can order a D2 form from the online DVLA form ordering service.

What If I Am Based In Northern Ireland?

If you are currently residing in Northern Ireland, you will need to speak to the DVA (the Driver and Vehicle Agency) about your driving licence renewal. They will be able to provide you with further information, not the DVLA.

What If I Don’t Hold A GB Licence?

If you hold a licence from a country other than Great Britain, the DVLA will return your licence to you when your period of disqualification comes to an end.

Depending on your conviction and the country your licence was issued in could have an impact on how long it will be before you receive your licence again. Please get in contact with the DVLA to discuss this further as it varies for each individual case.

How Do I Use The DVLA’s Online Form Ordering Service?

The DVLA’s online form ordering service can be used to order the correct forms you need to complete to renew your driving licence after a ban.

To use this service, you will need:

  • Your name
  • Your house number and street
  • Your town/city
  • Your county
  • Your postcode
  • The name/code of the form, pack or guide you require