Replace A Lost Driving Licence

To replace a lost licence, start by calling

0300 790 6801

This website provides hard to find phone numbers as a call connection service, and is not associated with the DVLA.

The DVLA contact number is available directly from their website at no or lower cost

  • Press (1) to get put through to “Licences”
  • Press (3) to select the option to replace
  • Press (1) to select the replacements department
  • Press (1) if you want to replace your licence with no changes to your details

If you find that your driving licence has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, whether it was accidentally or on purpose, you will need to arrange a replacement. You can sort a replacement in 3 different ways: online, over the phone or by post. To make your application online, you will need to apply by using your Government Gateway ID. If you haven’t got one, or are wanting to re-register, you will be given an ID as a part of your application process. If you find that your driving licence is stolen, you will need to contact the police

By completing the application online, you should find that your new photocard and paper counterpart will arrive within a week.

1. Apply by phone
2. Apply by post

To Replace Your Licence

When trying to replace your licence, you will need to make sure that:

  • You are considered a resident of Great Britain, as there is an alternative service in Northern Ireland
  • Not have any driving disqualifications for whatever reason
  • Be able to pay £20, using a MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
  • Hold a valid UK passport or another form of identity
  • Be able to give addresses of where you have resided for the last 3 years

Also, you should give your driving licence number and National Insurance number, if you know them.

Your Driving Licence Photo

The DVLA will attempt to use an electronic photo, if one is available. You will have an electronic photograph available for your photocard licence if:Driving Licence Categories

  • You photocard was due to expire within the next 2 years
  • You hold a UK passport

If there isn’t a suitable electronic photo, the DVLA will inform you. In this case, you will need to print out a form and send it to them with a new, appropriately sized photography,

The ensure the photo on your driving licence is up to date, you can use the renewal service for your photo driving licence. In order to do this online, you will need a valid UK passport.

Driving LicenceWhat To Do If You Find Your Old Licence Afterwards

If you find your old licence after getting a replacement, you have to return your old licence to the DVLA. You will also need to include an explanation as to what has happened, if you have requested or received a replacement.

Other Ways To Apply If You Have A Photocard Driving Licence

You can apply for a replacement licence two other ways; by phone or by post.

To Apply By Phone

You can only use this method if none of your details have changed.

It is also worth noting that you cannot apply over the phone if you have a damaged licence or it expires in less than 56 days (this changes to 90 days if it is expiring for medical reasons)

The phone lines are open 8am-7pm Monday-Friday and 8am-2pm on Saturdays.

To Apply By Post

To apply for a car or motorbike licence, you will need to complete a D1 form, “Application for a driving licence”, which is available from the online DVLA form ordering service, or the majority of Post Offices.

If you have a bus or lorry licence, you will need to complete the D2 form, called “Application for a lorry/bus licence”, which you can get through the DVLA form ordering service online.

Once you have completed these forms, you will need to then:

  • Post your application to the address that is displayed on the form, with the fee that is also shown on the form
  • Include any parts of your licence that you still have, if you are only missing one part

If your name has changed too, you will need to send any original documents that are required to confirm this.

It can take up to 3 weeks for postal applications to be returned.

Alternative Ways To Apply If You Have A Paper Driving Licence

You can also applied by post if you hold a paper driving licence. You will need to complete the same forms as you would for a photocard licence, D1 and D2, depending on the type of licence you hold.

Once you have done this, you will need to:

  • Include original documents that can confirm your identity
  • A passport-type photo
  • Your paper licence, if it has suffered damage
  • Then send all of these, along with your application to the address displayed of the form, as well as the appropriate fee (found on the form also)

Please note postal applications can take up to 3 weeks to be returned.