Vehicle Registration

0300 790 6801

Registering A Brand New Vehicle

driving-shutterstock_179874914If you are fortunate enough to have recently bought a brand new car from a dealer, the dealer will typically register and tax it for you. However, if you have not bought your latest vehicle from a car dealers, you will need to register and tax your vehicle yourself.

All vehicles registered will get given a unique registration number. Then, when the DVLA has the details of you and your vehicle, they will issue a V5C as a confirmation that the vehicle has now been registered. This is normally sent to you within 3 weeks. If you have still not received your V5C after 3 weeks, you should contact the DVLA Customer Service team.

Your Logbook (V5C)

Your logbook is now referred to as a V5C and is a document that the DVLA issues. It tracks the registered keeper of a particular vehicle, rather than who owns the vehicle, although, in spite of this, the V5C is usually treated as proof of ownership.

Following a vehicle being transferred, exported, scrapped or undergoing a major modification, such as a new engine, chassis or a factor that alters the taxation class, the form is return to the DVLA, who will issue a new document with the amended details if it is appropriate.

The V5C’s were redesigned in 2001 to comply with the 2001/127/EC directive. In 2011/2012 there was a program launched to replace the previous blue forms with a new style red form. This was done as a result of “theft of a number of blank V5C’s” and it is though that the theft took place in 2007/2008 along with the loss of over 2 million forms being reported in 2008.

Getting A Replacement V5C

The V5C is a crucial document as it proves that your own your vehicle. It is therefore very important that keep it in a safe place so that if you are considering selling your vehicle you will be able to prove ownership.

Lost Your Logbook?

If you do find yourself needing a replacement if your original V5C has been lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or you haven’t yet receive the certificate for your new vehicle then you can apply for a replacement V5C log book by phoning the DVLA on 0300 790 6801 or by post using the V62 form.

Holding Phone ReceiverPhone

You are able to apply for a new V5C over the phone if:

  • You were shown to be the registered keeper on the original V5C
  • Your name, address and the details of the vehicle haven’t changed
  • You are able to pay the fee of £25 by credit or debit card


To apply by post, you will need to complete a V62 form and send it along with the £25 fee to:

SA99 1DD

There is no fee if you are still waiting on the V5C for your new vehicle but still have your V5C/2 section. You will need to send this along with the completed V62 form.

Finding Out Information About Your Vehicle

You can find out more information about a vehicle you currently own or are planning on buying by visiting the DVLA’s online vehicle enquiry service. To find out more information you will need to have at least the make of the vehicle and its registration number.

The information you can get from DVLA’s online service includes:

  • When the vehicle current tax disc expires
  • When its MOT expires
  • The first date it was registered
  • Its SORN status
  • The colour of it
  • The size of its engine
  • The year it was manufactured
  • Its  CO2 emission levels
  • The current rate of tax for the vehicle.

If you have the V5C document reference number, you can also check the date of the vehicles latest issued V5C.

If you find any of the information to be incorrect, you can write to the DVLA at

SA99 1BA